Show Me, Tell MeGuidance for Car 'show me, tell me' vehicle safety questions.
“Show me, tell me…”
Here’s some top tips and guidance for the (often neglected) ‘Show me, tell me’ part of the DVLA Driving Test. It would be an absolutely terrible way to get a minor fault after getting something as simple (but important) as these questions wrong. This is taken from the DVLA’s own guidance, the full article can be read here.
About the questions:
The examiner will ask you one:
- ‘tell me’ question (where you explain how you’d carry out a safety task) at the start of your test, before you start driving
- ‘show me’ question (where you show how you’d carry out a safety task) while you’re driving.
Watch this video for more info:
The ‘Tell me’ Questions:
1. Tell me how you’d check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
2. Tell me where you’d find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve caps.
3. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. Note: Some restraints might not be adjustable.
4. Tell me how you’d check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
No cuts and bulges, 1.6mm of tread depth across the central three-quarters of the breadth of the tyre, and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.
5. Tell me how you’d check that the headlights and tail lights are working. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Explain you’d operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), then walk round vehicle (as this is a ‘tell me’ question, you don’t need to physically check the lights).
6. Tell me how you’d know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system.
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system.
7. Tell me how you’d check the direction indicators are working. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Explain you’d operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), and then walk round vehicle (as this is a ‘tell me’ question, you don’t need to physically check the lights).
8. Tell me how you’d check the brake lights are working on this car.
Explain you’d operate the brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows or doors, or ask someone to help.
9. Tell me how you’d check the power-assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy, the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey, 2 simple checks can be made.
Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
10. Tell me how you’d switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you’d use it/them. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary). Check warning light is on. Explain use.
11. Tell me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you’d know the main beam is on.
Operate switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary), check with main beam warning light.
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient oil.
Identify dipstick/oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against the minimum and maximum markers.
13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant.
Identify high and low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level.
14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Identify reservoir, check level against high and low markings.
The ‘Show me’ Questions:
- When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen?
- When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen?
- When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d switch on your dipped headlights?
- When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d set the rear demister?
- When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d operate the horn?
- When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d demist the front windscreen?
- When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d open and close the side window?
Watch this video for more info:
We hope you find this information useful as you progress towards your driving test. Information valid at time of going live, we will endeavour to keep this as up to date as possible but this page on our website does not substitute for tuition received during lessons.
We’re very fortunate to have helped coach a range of pupils into becoming genuinely roadworthy drivers. See some of their fantastic feedback below.
Pete is amazing makes you feel so comfortable behind wheel and very instructive throughout! Great experience would recommend to anyone looking to drive! ???
March 8, 2022
I would highly recommend Maidstone Driving Academy!! Pete has been amazing with our daughter Beth,he’s patient and reassuring and made her believe she can do it ?I can’t thank him enough Thanks Pete
February 26, 2022
Pete has now taught two of my children to drive and I know they're confident and safe on the road. He was reassuring and patient with both of them, provided written updates of their progress and thoroughly prepared them both to take their tests. Highly recommended! ....now could I just book you in advance for child no 3 when he turns 17 in Feb 2024? ?
January 22, 2022
I would like to say how amazing Pete is as an instructor and a friend! In April, I had no clue as to how I would even start an engine let alone drive a car but with great lessons and hard work from both of us I managed to pass first time just ready for Christmas. He is a very patient man always thinking of new strategy’s and ways to help - he will never give up! Thanks Pete! Katie B
December 16, 2021
I would highly recommend Pete for anyone wanting to learn how to drive, I passed on my second try and he did everything to help me with getting me ready for my test. He was really patient and made the whole driving experience easier. Thank you Pete for teaching me!
October 4, 2021
Pete has been amazing supporting our second daughter through 2 Lockdowns resulting in her passing first time! Our older daughter also learned with Pete and passed first time - thank you Pete
July 22, 2021
I would definitely recommend Pete for a driving instructor!! Not only did he help me pass first time, he is patient and immediately puts you at ease.
July 13, 2021
First class driving instructor, very calm & patient teaching style massive help with a nervous learner, I cannot recommend Pete enough he was the best!!
September 4, 2019
best driving instructor I could ask for, patient yet firm and honest. I also really enjoyed his email reports after the lessons as I could look back and focus what I needed to improve. would highly recommend
July 27, 2019
I couldn’t recommend Pete enough!! He is an amazing driving instructor, so patient and helps you through anything. Passed 1st time with his help! Definitely recommend!! ?
April 25, 2019
Pete is very friendly and patient, makes you feel at ease straight away. I didn’t start from scratch but he was very observant at picking up the bad habits I needed to get out of to get my license back!
November 13, 2018
pete is a fantastic driving instructor he is very patient and understanding and is a lovely guy
October 1, 2018
All around amazing!
June 6, 2018
Peter is the best instructor I had very patient talks me through everything makes me understand everything kept me calm helped with my nerves he is the best instructor in Maidstone I had thank you for your help would recommend Peter to anyone who is learning to drive�
May 17, 2018
I couldn't thank Pete enough for what he has done he went above and beyond and did everything he could.
September 22, 2017